Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

What a Difference a Week Makes

It's hard to believe that one week ago, Rob and I were off on our 7 mile hike, and today I'm banged up and stuck sitting down with my right leg propped up. Seems crazy, doesn't it?

We went to the doctor yesterday and he took off the dressing and did Xrays. He was really pleased with the results and said that it's rare that the tibia bone (I think) fits back together so well. We got to see all of my screws (two long ones on one side of my ankle and a plate and six shorter screws on the other side) - crazy!

So I got a boot cast, which I can luckily take off for showers and to let the skin breath. He said that I can't put weight on it for two weeks, and then gradually start putting weight on it. In four weeks, I should be able to walk on it without my crutches, and I go back in six weeks for another evaluation.

I'm very thankful for a good report from the doctor; an easy cast; thoughtful friends who sent flowers and good thoughts; a wonderful Mom who left us with a full refrigerator, a basket of clean clothes and three pairs of pants hemmed to perfection; and a sweet husband who has been on his toes.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad to hear you sounding better. And glad that the cast is removable. I remember the HORROR of itchy skin under casts on my wrist and knees after "incidents" in junior high. SO annoying. Small blessing to be able to take it off and scratch! Take care of yourself.