Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Wrapping Up the Weekend

We had a great weekend with my parents in town! They got here Friday afternoon and we ran around to a few shops. Mom treated me to a cute new Vera Bradley purse (thanks, Mom!), and Dad and I headed to pick up some good bbq for dinner. I made a new macaroni and cheese recipe to go with, and dinner was yummy. Friday night we were all wiped out and headed to bed pretty early.

Saturday we decided to visit National Harbor. a new mixed-use development on the Potomac in PG County. I'd been there for a project tour back in the summer, and more retail and restaurants are open now, although the pickings (and frankly, the crowd) were slim. We did enjoy going in the Stonewall Kitchen, since Mom and I'd spent too much time and $$ there during the trip I took with my parents to New England a few years ago. Terrific kitchen and gourmet goodies. After lunch, we headed back across the river to Old Town Alexandria for antiquing and geocaching for Rob.

Rob and I whipped up a great dinner of pan-seared scallops, roasted red potatoes and a blue cheese squash gratin for dinner, followed by a ridiculous dark chocolate raspberry cheesecake from a local bakery. Mmmm mmmm mmmm!

Sunday we headed to church, then drove downtown for brunch and more chocolate. I had the citrus ricotta hotcakes and a peanut butter hot chocolate. Rob's french toast s'mores, Mom's cheese souffle and Dad's flatbread were all delicious too. I love that place.

Just a journal of the weekend, and apparently a TON of eating. Hope your weekend was enjoyable too!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Sounds like lots of fun with your parents! My dad treated me to a Vera Bradley purse for Christmas and I'm now totally hooked! It was my first and I really love it. Thinking about another one for spring. Which pattern did you get?

Kathryn said...

I got the cute "Cupcakes Green" pattern! http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ViewCategory.aspx?colorid=9021