Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscars in Review

I love, love, love to watch the Oscars (and any other awards show, really), so Sunday night's show was on my calendar. I even took a nap in the afternoon so I could stay up until midnight and not be wiped out Monday.

Here are a few thoughts on this year's show from your armchair critic (I seriously considered live blogging during the show, but we DVRed and I thought it would be too tricky)....

  • Disliked the 30-minutes of red carpet with the hosts from GMA and Tim Gunn. More Ryan Seacrest, please.
  • Loved Hugh Jackman's opening sketch, song and dance. He's got chops! Anne Hathaway's Nixon impression was so funny that Hugh had a hard time not cracking. And I love the techno dance and ditty about not seeing The Reader. (Did anyone see The Reader?)
  • So sick of Brad and Angelina. Do what you say you are going to do and please go away.
  • Everything came to a grinding halt with five boooooring past supporting actresses. Geez. Have a little pep already!
  • Love Tina Fey. Love Steve Martin.
  • About halfway through the Hugh Jackman/Beyonce duo, I said to Rob, "What's this for again?" A little odd, but better than interpretive dance any day. Nonetheless, that was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
  • Rob laughed like a loon during the James Fraco/Seth Rogan comedy review. Potheads or not, you have to admit that they are funny.
  • Sean Penn takes himself too seriously. And what was with the shrug-off to his wife's congratulatory kiss and neglect of mentioning her in his thanks? Hmmmm.
  • Montage before Best Picture was wacky. Mixing old winners/movies with nominees was confusing! Am glad Slumdog Millionairre won. If you haven't seen it, you should.
Did you watch the Oscars? Share your reviews!

2 comments:

Leann said...

I didn't know you were another Ryan Seacrest fan! So many of my friends are sick of him, but I still think he fabulously good at his job(s).

Totally agree with you about Brad and Angelina. Can't say that I ever really liked either of them individually, but ever since "the Jen/Brad breakup," I just can't stand to look at them.

Stephanie said...

Heath Ledger's win was definitely a highlight. It was pretty touching to see his family accept the Oscar and see fellow actors in the audience shed some tears.