Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Creatures of Habit

Maybe it's because I'm getting old and set in my ways, but I've found myself really noticing my rituals lately. It's not that they are bad habits (although they aren't all good, either), but they are just how I do things. I've often thought I have a touch of OCD... and it really shows up in a few of the routines I follow daily, like:

1. I head to our work kitchen every day at 8 a.m. to retrieve my packed breakfast. Not 7:59 a.m. I must wait until the tiny clock on my computer says 8 a.m.

2. I drink two mugs of green tea every morning. The first one I fix with my breakfast, and the second is about an hour later. I only skip the second mug on Tuesdays. I'm not sure why.

3. In the mornings, I shower, partly dress, dry hair, apply make-up, brush teeth, finish dressing, add jewelry. In that order. Otherwise, I forget where I am in my routine and end up taking way longer than normal.

4. I measure close to everything I eat. I measure the cream in my coffee (2 tbsp.), the pasta per serving (2 oz.), the cereal to top my yogurt (2/3 c.), etc. This is definitely a good habit I've developed during the past year, although my co-workers give me wacky looks when they see me scooping out one tsp. of mayo to mix in my tuna or washing exactly 12 strawberries for a snack.
Hmmm. Maybe I'm weirder than I thought. What are some of your habits/routines?

0 comments: