Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Recipe Sharing: PB Granola

Found this recipe in Southern Living in January and made up a batch this weekend, with a few variations noted below. It's good! After it cooled, I bagged it in 1/2 cup servings in snack-sized ziplock bags for easy snacks or breakfast yogurt/oatmeal toppings. Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Granola
Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients
  • 3 cups uncooked regular oats
  • 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
  • 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (I substituted pecans here)
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I used light PB)
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter (I used light butter)
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Toss together oats, peanuts, coconut, and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Cook peanut butter, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir peanut butter mixture into oat mixture until blended. Spread mixture in a single layer on a lightly greased, aluminum foil-lined 17- x 12-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly golden, stirring after 10 minutes. Transfer to wax paper, and cool completely (about 20 minutes). Serve with vanilla yogurt and sliced bananas.

2 comments:

Robin said...

YUM! I love homemade granola and J does, too. So I made him a batch for Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, it's not a "routine" yet for me to make it, so it was a treat for him. :) My recipe is similar but only calls for honey and/or molasses (sp?). Probably doesn't taste as good as yours. :) Thanks for sharing!

RAK

Steph said...

Mmmm...I have to try this. Maybe it's something I can add to my picky eater's list of go-to's.