Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Friday, July 11, 2008

It All Fits on Paper

Good news: our new appliances all arrived yesterday!

Bad news: nothing fits.

Actually, that's not the complete story and everything is in its place now, but it sure was an adventure getting it all there!

All three items (stove, microwave, fridge) were scheduled for yesterday, but of course they all couldn't come at once! So the microwave installation guy showed up at 8:30 a.m., plopped it right up there, tested it out and headed on his way. Easy-peasy.

The stove and refrigerator were to arrive between 3-5:45 p.m. At 5:30 p.m. - when we'd seen neither hide nor hair of the delivery truck - I called and was informed that they were running late. No problem... we waited and waited and they finally showed up.

Here's where it got fun! The fridge measured right (and trust me, we'd measured it 101 times), but wouldn't fit in the space. Measure the fridge- check. Measure the space- check. It fit on paper, but not in real life. In the end, we figured out that our hardwood floors are a little uneven and that was making it not slide in on one side.

Let's move on to the stove. The delivery guy attempted to slide it into place... nope. There's some sort of power box screwed into the floors that happened to be in the exact 6-inch area where the stove wouldn't go back, so the whole thing stuck out from the wall 4 inches. Bothersome, but fixable in the next few days, we thought, until I realized that the dishwasher wouldn't open all of the way with the stove sticking out.

ACK!

At 7 p.m., I was tired and hungry and very irritated. The delivery man just shrugged his shoulders, asked me to sign that it all had, in fact, been delivered, and left us with a big refrigerator in the middle of the kitchen and stove that was blocking the dishwasher. Not a happy camper was I.

I informed Rob that I was going to pick up some carry out for dinner, and that I wanted that refrigerator in place when I got back. I have to give him a special shout out - he got out his Dremel tool and sanded the cabinet trim until it finally slid into place. Hallelujiah.

After dinner, he tackled the electric outlet behind the stove (shutting off the power so he didn't zap himself!), unscrewed/un-nailed it, moved it down 6 inches and reattached the whole thing. The stove slid in perfectly!

In the end, it's all where it needs to be and I'm very pleased. It was just a rocky two hours last night.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kathryn~ That just freaks me out! LOL. I am in your shoes and are expecting out new frigde, dishwasher and microwave at the end of the week. Hopefully it will all fit or I may have a stroke. ;)