Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Let's Dish!

We went to Let's Dish earlier this week and whipped up a freezer full of meals to enjoy for the next few weeks. This is the fourth or fifth time I've been there, I think, and I'm rarely disappointed in the meals.

Plus, the full meal serves six (ex., six chicken breasts), so we either split it or divide it into thirds to get more bang for our buck. Besides, when on earth would I cook six pieces of chicken for the two of us? Thirds doesn't always work, especially for the more casserole-type dishes or pork loins. In that case, we'll just have leftovers!

Here's what we prepared:


  • Sizzling chicken and veggie fajitas, with tortillas and cheese = 2 meals
  • Bourbon glazed steaks = 3 meals
  • Peanut cilantro chicken with snap peas = 3 meals
  • BBQ pork tenderloin = 2 meals
  • Black angus burgers with oat buns, blue cheese and blackened veggies = 3 meals
  • Bourbon glazed chicken breasts = 3 meals
  • Shrimp scampi with linguine= 2 meals
  • Honey glazed pork chops = 3 meals

So in total, we came home with 21 meals. The cost is around $180 (but they ALWAYS have a coupon). I think we paid $160 this time, and that equals out to $7.62 per meal.

My secret to Let's Dish is that I rarely do one of the pasta-based or veggie meals, since I don't know that they are worth the $. Steaks or chicken breasts, on the other hand, are worth it. And some of the meals are complete (like the shrimp scampi with linguine), and others need side dishes added at home.

Overall, I recommend it. It's fun to put the meals together, and it really helps knowing that the meal thawing in my refrigerator can be cooked and on the table fairly easily!

Has anyone out there tried Let's Dish or one of the similar food prep places?

3 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds awesome! And a good value, too. Does everything fit in your freezer? I think maybe mine is too small for this kind of thinking-ahead! Or maybe it's just too full of popsicles and ice cream right now???

Happy summering!
Robin

Kathryn said...

Robin, we have an extra full-size freezer in our basement, which comes in very handy for Let's Dish! My sister-in-law has done it too, and she fits it all in her regular-size freezer. Eat those popsicles and make extra space! :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun. I wish we had something like that here. :)