Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Dinner Menu

Rob and I are having some friends over for dinner tonight, and since we both worked today, I wanted something easy, but good. I settled on lasagna, and our friends graciously offered to bring salad and bread. My favorite kind of guests!

I usually make my grandmother's lasagna recipe -- it is really terrific -- but thought it might be fun to make something new. So, we are having Tyler Florence's Ultimate Lasagna, which I made yesterday and is in the oven as I type! What's interesting about this recipe is that there's cinnamon in the sauce. Strange, huh? I tasted the sauce yesterday as I was assembling the dish, and the flavor is strong, but really good. I hope our guests like it!

For dessert, we are having a chocolate pecan pie. So good. I'll share that recipe later this week. Better go put the finishing touches on the appetizer cheese plate and accompaniments. Guests to arrive in 20 minutes!

3 comments:

Leann said...

I am a HUGE fan of Tyler Florence. When you read his recipes and the list of ingredients, you might think this is going to be complicated, but Tyler always finds a way to make it so easy!

Unknown said...

I've wanted to try this recipe!! Please tell us how you liked it!!

Kathryn said...

Lee, the lasagna was okay, but Rob and I decided that we both prefer regular lasagna better. Plus, there was WAY too much meat in the sauce. It called for 2 lbs. of ground beef and 2 lbs. of sausage - I used 1 lb. of each and that was plenty. The cinnamon in the sauce gave it a different taste - kind of sweet and savory. If I make it again, I'd make some other changes to the recipe, like using less of the ricotta mixture (it called for more than double what was needed really). So, our overall review is that it's good but not great. Hope that makes sense!