Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sit. Stay.

Last night I took my first yoga class. I barely survived.

Seriously. I had no idea what I was in for, and it was rough! There was one other "newbie" in the class besides me, but everyone else seemed like these yoga experts. I kept up, but it was tough.

One of my setbacks is that I have no idea what any of the terms mean, or any of the poses. So when the leader would say, "move into the lotus pose," I had to look up at the gal in front of me (I strategically chose an end spot in the last row so I could keep an eye out) to see what she was doing. Then, I'd copy it.

I left there exhausted, but really relaxed too. Definitely going back next week, but I'm going to study up on these terms before I do:

  • Bandha - a posture in which organs and muscles are contracted to create energy lock in a specific area.
  • Sukhasana - a meditative (cross-legged) pose
  • Ardha padmasana - half-lotus pose
  • Utkatasana - squating position
  • Find lots more terms here....
Oh, yeah. And I'll know not to wear a long sleeve tee shirt again. It was H-O-T in there!

1 comments:

Andrea said...

You are sooooo incredibly hip and cool. I want to be you when I grow up.