Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Monday, January 26, 2009

No Green Thumbs Here

A few years ago, a dear friend moved away from Virginia. Along with the many treasures I scored from his stash of stuff that he wasn't planning to pack and take was a lovely ficus tree. Rob and I managed to squeeze this lush, healthy tree in the CRV and get it here... and it's never been the same since.

I tried. Really, I tried. I put in next to the window and watered it (occasionally...) and even talked to it. But it withered and dried and started to look really sad. The leaves began to fall off and new ones never grew. Oh, and kitty would stand on the chair next to it and pull at the branches. I'm sure that helped.

Today I made the tough decision to get rid of the tree. On one hand, I'm a little sad that my friend trusted me with his tree and I let it wither. On the other hand, I'm happy not to pick up dead leaves or holler at A.J. to stop pulling at it. Plus, we are getting new blinds on the windows it sat near, and it'll be nice not to get the (mostly dead) branches tangled up in them.

If you want a sad ficus tree, it'll be sitting out in front of our garage on garbage day. It's all yours.

0 comments: