Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Close to D.C.

Many of you know that Rob and I live about 15 miles outside of Washington, D.C. We're far enough out to not be experiencing some of the crazy of this week, but close enough to feel the "buzz" and excitement in the air.

A couple friends have asked if we are headed downtown (that's what people here call D.C. - "downtown") for the festivities. As much as I'd love to be there, we think it's just too nutty to go. The metro from our area will be PACKED, and the four bridges that cross the Potomac from Virginia to D.C. are all closed to traffic, so it's better for us to stay home watch from the comfort of our living room.

Except, that is, that neither of us have off on Tuesday. So really we'll be watching it online from our offices.

I went to Bush's first inauguration in January 2001. What a different world. Obviously that was before 9/11, so while there was security, it was minimal. My then-roomie Tessa and I took an easy ride on the metro, had a great view of the swearing in and enjoyed the day. The only thing we worried about was the cold.

Tonight we are braving it as deep as Arlington to meet some college girlfriends for dinner. They've traveled from the south to join in the excitement, and I'm eager to hear their tales of the big concert last night and their plans for Tuesday.

So, to the crowds arriving, I wish you warm temperatures and an experience to remember. To the Obamas, I wish you peace, faith and good decisions for the benefit of our country.

And to we residents of the D.C.-metro area, I wish you easy traffic, non-clogged metros and patience with your fellow Americans who are here to celebrate.

1 comments:

Robin said...

If we were still there, we would SO be renting out our apartment to the highest bidder. :) Hope things aren't too nuts...before, during, or after the big event!

I was at Bush's 2nd inauguration back in 2005. SO FUN. SO COLD. And I was SO PREGNANT. :) But I am not sorry to be missing this year's festivities...I think the coverage is just as good or better on TV. :)

Love,
me