Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sick Kitty

Poor A.J. is sickly. She had her regular vet appointment on Friday, and this is the second time she's had a reaction to the shots. Last year and this year, she got extra Benadryl and steroid shots to prevent reaction. Last year it worked; this year it didn't.

Saturday she was s-o-r-e and wouldn't eat or really move. We kept an eye on her, and I finally called the vet. He told us to give her one-half of a children's Benadryl (yeah, like we have that on hand) twice a day. We popped to the store and picked some up (grape flavor!), and that's where the fun began.

Have you ever tried to give a cat a pill???

Spunky A.J. wasn't having any of it! I held her and Rob tried to shove it in her mouth; then we switched and I tried. No luck. Finally we managed to get in most of it. Last night we tried again, and I really thought it had worked! She seriously took a big gulp, then hopped down and acted normal. A few minutes later I found it laying on the floor - she tricked me!

Rob's idea was to mash it up with a little water and just smear it on her face, and she'd lick it off. We tried it and it worked, although she really hated it and didn't seem too happy. At least she ate it! We did it again this morning, and she seems to be almost back to normal... still a little slow moving, but since she was up on the counter trying to get in the coffee pot this morning, I'm assuming she's a-okay.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my - pilling a cat is the worst thing in the world! I feel for you. Two summers ago (2007) our kitty was very sick and I had to give her meds. Mike was in Japan, so I had to figure it out on my own. The vet showed me what to do, but when it was my turn, look out! Isn't it funny how a "professional" can do anything, but when you try, forget it?? Goes for the hairdresser too. :)

Glad A.J. is feeling better!

Stephanie said...

Have you thought about breaking up the pill and putting it in the cat's food? We've done it before - sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't.