I love this recipe, and with Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought it was a good time to share. This is super easy and rather nutritious, while still delicious. It's great with pork chops or scallops, or probably anything at all. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Smash
Yield: 8 (3/4 c. servings)
Note: I never make this much, but just adjust the other ingredients below accordingly. I usually use two large sweet potatoes, or about 2 lbs.
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes - washed, peeled and cut in to 1.5 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2/3 c. low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- dash of cinnamon or other spices, to your liking (I always add a splash of vanilla too)
- Bring potatoes and enough water to cover them to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, about 18 minutes.
- With a few minutes left to cook on the potatoes, melt the butter over medium heat. Swirl around the pan so it doesn't scorch, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add melted butter, milk, salt, pepper and other spices of your choice. Mash until your desired smoothness.