Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Friday, August 01, 2008

A Little Frustrated

About two weeks ago, I was on the "cool down" minutes of my treadmill walk (it was nearly 100 degrees and way too hot to walk outside), when the thing started beeping and flashing "error 13" on the screen. Huh?

I got off, took out the little magnetic key, put it back in and got the same code. So I unplugged it and restarted the whole thing - same error. I got out the instruction manual, and the chapter marked "Error Codes" merely directed me to call the store where I bought it. Very helpful.

(And mind you, this is not a cheap treadmill. It was a hefty purchase that should have a very long life.)

So, the next day I call and am referred to their repair company as the only people who could fix it under warranty. I call them and the woman has no clue was "error 13" means. She looked it up and called me back, informing me that the whole membrane (keyboard) panel would need to be replaced, since I apparently had a stuck key.

Oh, and it's $150 for their house call fee (per hour) to repair it. Terrific.

That was Friday, July 18. On Monday, July 21, I called and asked them to order the part. She said it would be a week. Yesterday (July 31 - 10 days later), I call them to inquire. She told me it hadn't actually been ordered until July 24 and still hadn't arrived. They'd call me when it got here, she cheerfully informed me. That really didn't satisfy me, and I wasn't shy in letting her know, although equally (maybe sarcastically?) cheerful.

So, in summary: forced to use this company for repair; delinquent in placing an order and absent in notification of this fact; $150 charge to come to my house. Did I mention that includes the repair man's "travel and repair time?" Goodness knows what they'll charge me if it takes him longer than an hour to drive to my house and fix the blessed thing.

My advice to you: buy the $300 treadmill at Wal-Mart. When it breaks, buy a new one (if you really use it). Don't invest in a quality one that will still likely break, but cost you two weeks and at least $150 to repair.

Thanks for letting me get that out. I feel better now.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm sorry about your frustration, but I have to say that it definately solidified my recent purchase of a gently used Gazelle (kind of like an elliptical) off of Craigslist for $40. I'm all about the cheap!

Anonymous said...

LOL. I have the $300 Wal Mart one and have never had a problem with it. The ones at my gym are constantly breaking. What is the deal with that? ;)

Philip said...

Did you try beating it really hard first? That always seems to solve the problem for me.

OK, maybe it doesn't solve the problem, but at least I get a little aggression release.

Kathryn said...

Philip - I definitely hit the thing a couple of times! I unplugged it, tried shifting it to unstick the key and pounded on the keyboard. No luck!