Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Stress City

Welcome to Stress City! Mayor, me!

I'm stressed to the max - work is crazy (big conference in a few weeks), too many meetings of our HOA Board (I volunteered why?) and family stuff is a roller coaster (grandfather with Alzheimer's at the tip of that iceberg).

That means I work late, run home, scarf dinner and either head to a meeting or log back on the computer to do more work. I can't relax and I'm being a grouch to the one person who's been the nicest to me. Rob deserves a big shout out for keeping me around. :)

So, besides sleepless nights and a constant headache, what else has this nutso stress benefited me with? Shingles.

Yes, that's right. I have shingles. I thought only old people got shingles.

I noticed the breakout Monday morning while I was showering, and figured that I'd been repeatedly bitten by some creepy-crawly during our last lake weekend. But, it didn't itch and continued to get redder and more uncomfortable.

So yesterday, I went to the doctor to have it checked out, and I nearly fell off the little table when she pronounced that it was shingles. "Get out!" is what I'm pretty sure I hollered. You may know that it's the same virus that causes chicken pox, and it remains dormant in the body forever. Guess what's a main trigger? Severe emotional stress. Go figure.

I headed to Target after work with my prescription, only for the pharmacist to tell me my insurance won't cover it. Whatever. So, $250 later I left the pharmacy and have since followed up with my doc to have her convince the insurance company that I need this instead of the generic. I don't know how the uninsured do it. And, this is an issue I'll be looking in to as I'm researching our two options in November.

I need the weekend. I need to sleep and stay off of the computer and be nice to my husband. I'm ready... and only two hours until it begins.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, girl - I'm so sorry about the Shingles. I know you have a lot on you right now but make sure you take some time and relax a little. Keep us posted.

Professor Bishop said...

Oh my sweet friend! You seriously need a weekend of sofa time. Send Rob out for Anne of Green Gables, Pride & Prejudice, and any other girl-flik that will make you happy, and chocolate. Don't forget the chocolate. Invite that cat up onto your lap and let the purrrrrrrr settle your soul.

I'll be praying.

Professor Bishop said...

Okay, that's funny. Apparently I'm still signed into my college class blog. Don't I sound so ridiculously big-headed with my name? :-)

Jenny said...

Doesn't the $250 price tag make your stress worse instead of better?:)Hope things calm down soon!