Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Friday, July 17, 2009

PT, Day 2

Today was my second physical therapy appointment, and we did much more this time than last. (The first appointment was mainly an evaluation.)

I started out with 5 minutes on the stationary bike. Bike?!? I have absolutely no interest in riding a bike -- at all. But since this one wasn't going anywhere, I agreed to give it a try. Apparently riding your bike stretches out lots of muscles and tendons in your legs. From personal experience, I can also tell you that it can break your ankle.

Anywho... then I met with the therapist and she did about 10 minutes of deep tissue massage and then about 15 minutes more of tugging and stretching and pulling. Apparently I have the greatest deficiency in pushing my foot down, like you'd do on the gas pedal of the car. The range of motion there is an average of 70 degrees, and I can do it at 34 degrees. So obviously that's somewhere where they'll focus. She said that's also the reason I clump down the steps -- my broken ankle doesn't bend forward as much as it should when it's leaving the step above.

Next I worked with one of the aides, and they kept me busy with picking up a tub of marbles with my toes, simulating walking a tightrope (forwards and backwards), using the balance board and standing on my bum leg while throwing a ball against a trampoline and catching it. Good times.

Last thing I did was the 15 minutes of ice treatment. Basically it's a soft boot that wraps around my foot, and FREEZING ice-cold water shoots around inside it. It feels weird, but actually very soothing.

The therapist feels pretty confident that I'll get back to normal, but she did say that my ballerina days were behind me. :)

2 comments:

Leann said...

"Next I worked with one of the aides, and they kept me busy with picking up a tub of marbles with my toes, simulating walking a tightrope (forwards and backwards), using the balance board and standing on my bum leg while throwing a ball against a trampoline and catching it. Good times."

I'm not sure I could do that on my non-broken/surgically repaired ankle.

Robin said...

Hope you feel like you're making progress. It must be frustrating, but hopefully your hard work will pay off!

RAK