Funny stories... tales from the road... life with us.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Catching Up

This has been a busy couple of weeks, with us being gone for my grandfather's funeral and the fourth of July last week, and a busy week of work and appointments this week. I'm finally sitting down, and I'm delighted that the premiere of Big Brother is tonight. It's a total train wreck every year, but we still love watching it all unfold.

Tonight we went to Manassas to pick up a bag of fresh veggies as part of a community supported agriculture (CSA) group. Our friends actually belong to it, but they are on vacation this week and offered their week's share to us. We got a head of cabbage, a giant squash, a cucumber, 10 potatoes, an onion and a bunch of herbs. We are glad to try it out to see if we'd like to participate in one, maybe next year. Now I need to find some good recipes -- anyone ever buy a cabbage before? I never have!

My dear friend Kelly got engaged two weeks ago, and I'm happy to be her matron of honor! I'm meeting her tomorrow for dress, cake and invitation shopping. Bring on the cake samples!!! :)

I should update on my ankle... I went to the orthopedist last week, and he thought it all looked good. He would like me to do 6 weeks of physical therapy, so I start that next week. I also bought some scar cream to put on my two slices --- both are pretty dry and itchy, so I'm hoping that the cream will help.

This weekend is a picnic with good friends, and not much else on the radar. We are all bringing a dessert to share at the picnic, so I'm bringing peanut butter chocolate-dipped rice crispy treats. YUM!

Hope you are having a good week --

3 comments:

Robin said...

Your CSA veggies sound fun...my sister made a cabbage/mandarin orange salad for the Fourth that was really yummy. I'll have to get you the recipe. It was different, but in a good way. :)

RAK

Jenny said...

Fish tacos or spring/egg rolls for the cabbage? Not that I've ever made eitehr of those, but they do have cabbage in them. :)

Eco said...

My favorite way to make cabbage is just to shred it, heat about 2 Tbsp. of butter and 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large saute pan, add cabbage and quite a bit of salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until cabbage is cooked down, slightly browned and tender. It's a Barefoot Contessa recipe and so yummy with grilled pork. And you can also add chopped apple to the pan when it's cooking to make it a bit sweeter, whatever your preference. Also, I love to make the chinese chicken salad with the toasted ramen noodles -- it's a Paula Deen recipe I could send you if you'd like. It's yummy!! I actually love cabbage so I'm interested to hear what you do with it. :-)